Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving leftovers: Ham & Potato Soup

After the thanksgiving feast of joy, we're still getting through the leftovers. It's just like Christmas, when you just pick at whatever's left out. Meals all just merge into one another. You're never really hungry, you never really have a meal, you just graze for at least 24hours after the main event.

As a result, our diet was really based around ham sandwiches with mayonnaise and chips.  I got the good mayonnaise, that's half olive oil, so I could kid myself that I was making healthy choices, but really this was a facade. We got through a loaf of bread in one afternoon. I appreciate that ham sandwiches do not constitute a balanced diet, but I was raised to not waste food, and Babe's mum is laying there in my kitchen. I needed a better plan.

I decided to boil the ham bone in our surplus chicken stock to make the most legit soup of my life. Boiling a bone, I felt like it was London during the blitz and I needed to 'make do and mend' (but I think that was about clothes, maybe 'dig for victory'. I don't remember the exact war time slogan that represents it, but I felt I bit like I was channeling my Nan).

Blitz spirit

Into this carcass broth, I added three diced potatoes, two chopped sticks of celery, all the leftover meat, a lot of cracked black pepper and a little bit of oregano. In a separate pan, I fried some onions in butter, I added flour, and then milk until the consistency was thick but creamy. If I learned anything from thanksgiving, it's that sour cream makes all food taste better, and I still had half a tub in the fridge, so I put two spoonfuls of it into the white sauce. This was then added to the broth and 'voila', delicious soup.

Ham & Potato Soup

This was a really nice way to use up the leftovers without so much bread and mayonnaise, and although the soup contained butter and potatoes, it didn't contain much of either and I've made gallons of soup! All in all, I'd say this was a reasonably healthy meal, perhaps not as good as a ham salad, but it's November, and soup is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment