I also made the rule that you should drink every time I make an excuse as to why my meal was less than healthy, so brace yourself, here's the bit where I run through my excuses. First, it's cold. It was 21°C yesterday, and suddenly it's below freezing and there's ice and snow. No-one wants to eat quinoa and shrimp in the cold, that's hot weather food. Second, my husband is having a bit of a bad time. His newly-purchased used-car won't start, and he's not able to fix it right now. He's waiting on a check from his employer, the check was supposed to be here on Saturday (it's Monday). He's a bit fed up. When someone is fed up, and it's cold, and they are a hairy man with a beard, and you like to take care of them and show them that everything's going to be alright by providing a home-cooked loving meal and kissing them on the head, what are you supposed to make!? Cabbage soup? I mean, soup's a good shout to be fair, and cabbage is a wintery vegetable, but we've been making a lot of soup lately (more excuses). Anyway, I tried to think of something that contained solids, and that my husband might be excited to eat.
I found this recipe on BBC food, for a dish based around chicken, bacon, pasta, double-cream, cheese and fresh basil. It looked delicious, but pretty unhealthy - with 10 fluid ounces of double cream! The version that I made had no double cream (which is 50 calories per tablespoon), instead it had 8 fluid ounces of sour cream (a comparatively reasonable 30 calories per tablespoon) and some chicken stock. The recipe asked for chicken thigh, but I used skinless chicken breast. I used Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar because it's has a stronger flavour so you don't need to use as much, and I'd guess it contains fewer calories. I did, however, keep the bacon. Bacon's delicious. When I use red meat, you take a nice big drink.
So, yeah, I browned the chicken and the bacon in a little butter (only because of I'd run out of olive oil, but you, dear imaginary reader, must drink, and then drink again for my poor excuse). I added a chicken bouillon cube and a lot of garlic (possibly 5 cloves). I then stirred in the sour cream and let it warm up again. Then I thew the cheese and the torn basil onto the pan. You should imagine this is slow mo. I threw that Parmesan into that pan a bit like how potently seductive secretaries are thrust onto a desk by their employer in a frenzy of lust and passion, sending staplers and paper clips flying. I'm pretty sure I sexually assaulted the Parmesan, the filthy bitch had been giving me the eye, and I couldn't help myself. Unlike a sexy administrator, the sauce was pretty runny. I could add flour in future to make it thicker but it really didn't matter, it was quite titillating just as it was. I poured the sauce over some fat wholewheat pasta (like penne, but bigger and really wide), and served with additional sexy blonde Parmesan and coarse cracked black pepper.
It was delicious. :)
![]() |
| Chicky-chicky parm-parm! |
![]() |
| This is the salad as I put it on the table, covered in nuts, croutons and dried cranberries. |
![]() |
| This is my side salad, with the yummy dressing. |
The whole thing was delicious. The house smells delicious. I'm sat here with my handsome and a cup of tea, a piece of chocolate and a full belly. The Christmas tree is up, you've had a few drinks, I'm writing to imaginary people, and we're all quite concerned about money. It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!



No comments:
Post a Comment