Saturday, May 18, 2013

Crockpot Chronicles: Part 1

My husband and I bought a crock-pot for $10 from goodwill about a year ago. It's been sitting in the cupboard ever since. As I am trying to save some money, but still want to cook interesting and delicious meals, I figure that it might be time to get the crockpot out of the cupboard and give it a try.

One of my friends, Derek, kindly sent me two recipes for crock pot chicken. I tried one of them out this week when we had company.


Bung the following items in a crockpot and ignore for 8 hours: 1 whole chicken, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup honey, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons minced garlic.

I overcooked the chicken a little. Derek recommended only leaving it in the crock pot for 5 hours instead of 8, and he was right. By the time we ate it it had lost it's consistency but it was very moist and flavorful.

I served it with fusion stuffing (just like I made last thanksgiving), roasted vegetables, and mashed potatoes so it was not a healthy meal, but oh boy it was delicious. I even used the juice at the bottom of the crock pot as the base for a gravy. Wowzers in my trousers!


I forgot to take a picture of the chicken until after we'd started eating, so this is the best picture I could take

No comments:

Post a Comment