Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Spiced Mackerel with Horseradish Potatoes

I fell of the gym-wagon. I was training for a half-marathon. I had a spreadsheet in which I logged how far I had run and how long it took me. I went from being awful at running, only lasting a few meters until I hit the proverbial wall, to being able to run a few miles with some composure. I took it pretty seriously, buying special running clothes and shoes and joining running forums. Alas, one day my knees hurt and I missed training. Then about two/three weeks passed and I had not gone back to the gym. I was way behind on my schedule and, although I was always certain that I would start again tomorrow, it didn't happen. The jig was up.

This whole time, my adorable friend Sarah kept innocently asking "how's the running going?" and I would often reply "urghhh! gawd! I'll do it tomorrow!" in the style of a petulant teenager. Yesterday, Sarah said "this is why I don't set big goals, just set little goals and be glad when I achieve them". Those words rung in my head and I decided to go to the gym, not to run 5 miles, my goal was simply to put my gym clothes on, go to the gym, and maybe touch the equipment. This plan worked. I went to the gym, I ran about 1 mile and it didn't feel all that bad, I wasn't sweating like hell and wishing I was dead. I felt good that I had broken the cycle. There was, however, a new reason to feel bad. For the first time ever, my belly actually jiggled when I ran. {thunderbolt}

There's a good chance that I am simply pre-menstrual and this belly weight will go in a week, but still, this was a disturbing threshold to cross. I came home and had a bath but the belly loomed large in the water. This morning, I weighed myself on the fancy scales at my office. I am heavier today than I have ever been. Unless I'm about to do a 6lb poo, action is needed. Iotef was invented to encourage healthy family meals, mostly for the sake of my husband and son. Right now, I need iotef more than ever.

For dinner, I made fish, but I put butter on it and ate it with white potatoes so I might as well just buy a moomoo.

This is the recipe that I followed. It was pretty freaking delicious, and really very quick and easy. The horseradish was a little too much for my son, he added extra sour cream to his plate to calm it down. My husband enjoyed it, he tends to like strong flavors.  I think it was healthy in terms of the balanced meal but not low fat enough. I am not supposed to cook with butter. Even just a little butter and then putting it under the broiler is not okay. How many calories are even in horseradish? I bet it's tons.


No comments:

Post a Comment