Thursday, December 12, 2013

Oven-baked Ratatouille & Sausages

I made this thing without doing much research or thinking. I just googled "quick healthy family meals" and this recipe came up. It looked too easy to be very tasty, but I decided to go for it as I was tired, and liked the idea of something I could shove in the oven. I wasn't planning to add it to the blog, but everyone seemed to like it so much that I feel like it deserves a place in here.

It says it serves four, but from the ingredients on the list I didn't think it was going to feed the four people in my house. There are two burly blokes, and a 13 year old boy in my family! So I decided to increase all the ingredients. It meant that I needed to roast the vegetables in two trays and everything took a little longer. My adapted recipe involved 8 Cajun style sausages with pork, rice and kidneys, two red peppers, two onions, four courgettes (3 green, 1 yellow), 4 cloves of garlic, 800g of canned tomatoes, and salt, pepper and thyme to season. I generally followed the recipe, but before adding the tomatoes I drained the leftover olive oil from the baking tray. I let the stew cook for 30mins, instead of 20mins, because there was so much more of it to cook.

Everyone really liked it and encouraged me to make it again in future. I took these pictures after we had started eating, and when I decided that this recipe was a keeper


No comments:

Post a Comment