This was the winter of pies. I'd learned that chicken is not a great pie meat as it's not robust enough. Beef is great but it's very unhealthy. I found a recipe for a pie that used pancetta, but just a little, the most of the ingredients were healthy (ish) like white beans, swiss chard, carrots and celery. I've never eaten Swiss chard or white beans so figured this would be a fun recipe to try.
I followed the recipe pretty much exactly but made one large pie, instead of individual pot pies. I was feeding six, so scaled up the ingredients. Also, we had some ricotta cheese leftover from a previous meal and so I put a spoon or two of that in and reduced the amount of sour cream. I didn't scale up the ingredients for the crust and still easily had enough to line my pie dish (I blind baked the bottom with ceramic pie beads for 15mins) and make the top. I am pretty sure that each of us ate less of the crust than if we made individual pot pies, which is good, because pie crust is not healthy, an insane amount of butter goes into this.
It was very good, it looked great. I especially liked the crust, which was flaky and flavorful. I think more people should put ricotta in the crust. The inside was a very thick and creamy consistency. As there was so much chicken stock, it did kinda taste like a chicken pie, but with all the other things going on, and the pancetta, it had a much more robust feel to it. I served it with green beans and garlic mushrooms.

No comments:
Post a Comment