After leaving the boy home alone to drink booze, I was pretty hung over the next day. When I'm hungover I crave a traditional roast dinner. Specifically, I crave mashed swede with butter, homemade gravy and the crispy skin of a chicken.
Needless to say, any meal based around this need is not healthy. It is, unfortunately, impossible to make homemade gravy without fat. Chicken skin is so high in fat that it's as if the chicken's just playing the long game and is going to win out in the end. In addition, my husband, makes a mean roast potato. There is a lot of fat in this meal.
There's also be a lot of salt. We can't seem to get good chicken stock very easily, it tends to be considered 'Spanish food' around these parts and we get this very cheap looking salty crappy, chicken stock which is a weird bright-yellow colour. If you can imagine a "chicken" highlighter pen, it would be this colour. The involvement of this dubious substance must decrease the nutritional value of the meal by a significant amount. It certainly adds a lot of salt.
The good news is that apart from the fat, and the salt, the meal was reasonably nutritious. The gravy and potatoes were bad news bears, but there were lots of vegetables (swede, carrots, green beans, spinach and mushrooms) and protein (chicken). Personally, I don't like roast potatoes very much so focused on the chicken and vegetables.
The plan of this blog is not for me to just serve green beans and spinach on the side of an otherwise high-fat meal. I need to get more creative. This was just a hangover day and I needed my comfort food. I'll try harder next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment