Julia is a sweetheart that I work with. She always makes an amazing lunch. Everything in her tupperware is made from scratch and flavoured with herbs and spices that are ingeniously combined. It's not like she's eating rabbit food, she's taken the time to make something wonderful. If I make a tuna sandwich with wholemeal bread for lunch, I generally to feel pretty happy with myself, but Julia has me in awe. She's also a very busy woman studying for an MD/PhD so I have no idea where the fuck she finds the time to make this food, but that's a separate issue.
Julia, bless her heart, is encouraging me on my journey to healthy family meal times and had emailed me a recipie for 'Kale and Cranberries' that seemed pretty straightforward and novel (because what the fuck is kale?). Unfortunately, I had panicked and raced to the supermarket before working out what I needed to buy. I have one of those shit phones that doesn't really do the internet. I called Julia from the supermarket and she sorted me out.
Kale and Cranberries, with a side of left-over chicken, and a fresh chopped tomato. Here it is. Isn't it colorful!
The problem is, I was rushing. I was trying to simultaneously wash plates and cook something new while my only son yelled instructions at me that he was reading from Julia's email. Neither of us got part about taking the stalks off the kale. It's in the email, clear as day, but we didn't notice that part. I cooked it with the stalks on. None-the-less, with the garlic, olive oil and the cranberries - this was a pretty nutritious and appetising dish. I just cocked it up a little bit. I will do better next time.
Even as I ate, I was still stressing out about the time and feeling pretty stupid about the stalks (we ate around them). My family are very sweet and they ate the dinner gratefully, reassuring me that it was fine and I should be proud of myself. There was plenty of appreciation, but no eagerness. This was a perfectly nice dish, and very nutritious, but I think I can do better next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment